Benefits of becoming an au pair
There are many benefits in becoming an au
pair. The most common feedback is shown below:
- Great experience for people who want a career in childcare, or
work involving children.
- Being able to travel around the world and earn pocket money
along the way with living expenses included. Refer au
pair pocket money guidelines by country for more
- No prior experience required in most countries; you just need
to enjoy looking after children (or in some cases elderly people)
and have a helpful and caring attitude.
- Learning about a new culture and experiencing a country with
your host family as well as being a tourist in your time off.
- Making new friends in a new country. Many of our au pairs
have made friends with local people, as well as other au pairs from
both their home country and other countries. We created AuPairConnect
to help you find and meet other au pairs in your new host
- You know your accommodation is organised, safe and without
- The cost of having your meals and accommodation included cannot
be underestimated. If you were to live on your own in an overseas
country, living costs can be extremely high. Refer Au pair
living costs for further information
- The opportunity to learn a new language and add that little bit
extra on your curriculum vitae (CV) / resume.
- Making some extra money while on break from school / work.
- Participating in your host family's activities and being able
to teach the children about your home country.
- Becoming more independent - a valuable asset that can benefit
your career and ability to take on new responsibilities in
- An opportunity to create special, long term friendships - we
have had over 10 au pairs, and we keep in touch with many of them
on Skype, Facebook, and on the phone. We are looking forward
to seeing each-other again when we visit their home country in the
If you have any comments regarding this page, please
Email us - we value your feedback!